This article will help you set up the NordVPN application on your Mac and connect to a VPN server. The app uses the reliable and fast IKEv2/IPSec VPN protocol, which meets the highest security standards.
Note: The NordVPN (App Store) app is compatible with macOS 10.15 and later versions.
Table of contents:
- Go to the NordVPN IKEv2 app page in the App Store or click download the App Store version of NordVPN on our downloads page:
- Agree to Open App Store.
- When the App Store launches, click on the blue Get button and choose to Install the app.
- Once the download is finished, press the Open button.
- Open your Launchpad and click on the NordVPN icon.
- You can Log In or Sign Up in the top-right corner of the screen.
- You will be redirected to your Nord Account.
To log in, enter your registered email address and password. You can also sign in using your Google account or Apple ID or by entering a code.
If you are a new user, you will need to create a Nord Account by entering your email address and other required information.
- After completing the above steps, you will be prompted to open the NordVPN app. Agree always to allow Nord Account and grant access to the app.
- After a successful login, you will see the main NordVPN application window.
Here, you can find NordVPN servers and navigate in the map itself, search bar, or specialty section.
- The Quick Connect button in the top-right corner will automatically connect you to a server.
- To connect to a specific server, click on the Search field in the top-left corner of the app. Enter a country, a category, or a specific server number (e.g., Canada #1224) to find what you need.
- All servers in the left sidebar are sorted by country and specialty.
To connect to a specialty server, hover over one of the categories under Specialty Servers, and click on the three-dot menu to select a Country.
- To connect to a specific country, click on it.
NordVPN features menu
- Map - here, you can find and navigate NordVPN servers in the map itself, search bar, or specialty section
- Dark Web Monitor scans the internet for any credential leaks associated with your registered NordVPN e-mail address.
Presets let you load up a specified set of configurations, including server number, type, protocol, and more. You can configure your settings to experience a smooth session, for e.g., so that a streaming service or a game loads up instantly!
How to set up presets?
Start at the preferences page. You can either edit an existing preset or create a new one by clicking Add new.
Let's build it from scratch. After pressing Add new, you will see a menu with the settings you can use. Give the preset a name. Next, select from available VPN protocols. If you change the default setting Use recommended, you’ll be able to alter the server type. Here you can set a specialty server or any regular one as your type.
Depending on the server availability, you may also have the choice of selecting a specific region.
Finally, you can add either a web page or an app to the preset. It will be displayed under the preset name on the main screen.
If you press Add link button, a field will appear for the URL of the website you would like easy access to. After inserting the URL, press Enter to register it. When you're done, press Save preset, and it will be added to the main screen.
- Statistics show you more information about your connection.
To change application settings and find various features click on the gear icon at the bottom-right corner of the app:
- Settings tab displays the NordVPN app settings.
- Here you can find your connection logs, a direct to our Help Center, or our customer support email.
- Launch the app on computer startup — toggle to open the NordVPN app automatically every time you turn your device on.
- Threat Protection Lite — when the toggle is activated, NordVPN will block ads and malicious domains.
- VPN Protocol — this option will let you choose from 3 different connection protocols (OpenVPN UDP, OpenVPN TCP, and NordLynx).
- Help Us Improve — makes NordVPN better by sending us aggregated anonymous data.
- When using an untrusted network — toggle to automatically be connected to a VPN when you're connected to a network that is not added to a Trusted network list.
- Connect to — you can select a specific country from the list.
- The current network — shows the network you are currently connected to.
- Trusted network — you won't be automatically connected to a VPN while on a trusted Wi-Fi network.
- Kill Switch prevents unprotected access to the internet when your VPN connection accidentally drops.
- Stay invisible on a local network — this will let you keep your device invisible on an unsafe local network.
- Advanced Kill Switch is an additional layer of security that can be enabled to prevent WebRTC leaks. However, it functions separately from the system-wide Internet Kill Switch. Read more information about Kill Switch.
- Appearance settings let you add an application to your dock and menu bar. Also, it lets you choose between dark and light modes.
- Other Apps tab introduces other Nord Security products. As well as a scannable QR code that directly leads you to the NordVPN mobile app download.