Multi-factor authentication (MFA) is a security technique that requires the user to pass multiple authentication steps to access their account, preventing intruders from breaking in with a stolen password. For example, you may have to enter a security code provided by a separate authenticator app or confirm your log-in attempt from a different device. Even a physical security key can be used to authenticate the log-in attempt.
How can you use MFA with Nord Account?
There are two MFA options for Nord Account.
- Use an authenticator application (such as Google Authenticator, Microsoft Authenticator, or Authy). Authenticator apps generate codes that must be entered during the Nord Account login process. These codes are only valid for 30 seconds.
- Use a security key (Bluetooth, NFC, or a USB security key with a unique PIN). Nord Account supports USB security keys certified by FIDO2, including the Security Key series, Yubikey 5 series, iePass FIDO K44, MultiPass FIDO K25, ePass FIDO NFC K9 and K35, BioPass FIDO K26 and K27.
How to enable MFA for your Nord Account: Authenticator app
Log into your Nord Account.
- If you are using a desktop device, click on your account name in the top-right corner and choose “Account settings.”Switch to the “Multi-factor authentication (MFA)” tab and click on the “Multi-Factor authentication (MFA)” card.
On mobile devices, tap on the three-line icon in the top-right corner, scroll down to “Account settings” at the bottom of the menu, and tap on “Multi-factor authentication.”
- Enter your password and click “Verify.” You will be given an option to set up an authenticator app or a security key.
- If you choose to use an MFA app, an MFA key will appear. Enter this key in your authenticator app and click “Continue.”
- You will be asked to enter a security code from your authenticator app to complete the setup.
- You will be notified that MFA was successfully enabled. Now, click on “Save backup codes'' to get a copy of your account’s MFA backup codes. Save them somewhere safe or print them out — backup codes let you log in to Nord Account if you lose access to your MFA app. When done, click “Continue.”
How to enable MFA for your Nord Account: Security key
- In the “Multi-factor authentication” tab, choose the option to set up a security key.
- Follow the instructions displayed on the screen. Your setup may differ depending on your security key.
- You will be asked to log out from all devices. We strongly recommend that you do so to make sure that your Nord Account is protected with MFA on all of your devices.
Because generating and remembering strong, secure passwords is not an easy task, we recommend downloading a free password manager like NordPass. It generates secure passwords for you and stores them safely, letting you avoid time-wasting password resets in the future.
NordPass offers native apps for Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, and iOS, so you can reach your passwords whenever and wherever you need them, even offline.