Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) is a security feature that helps protecting access to your account. When MFA is turned on, it requires you to pass an extra step during the log in process. For example, you may be have to enter a security code provided by a separate authenticator app, or confirm your log in attempt from a different device. Even a physical security key can be used to authenticate the log in attempt.
How can you use MFA with Nord Account?
There are two MFA options for Nord Account.
- You may use authenticator applications to generate a code, such as Google Authenticator, Microsoft Authenticator, Authy, or any other. Any one of those apps will create a code that you must enter whenever accessing Nord Account. The code changes every 30 seconds.
- A second option is to use a security key. It can be a Bluetooth, NFC, or USB security key that will hold a unique PIN and ensure effortless access only for you. Nord Account supports USB security keys certified by FIDO2. That includes the Security Key series, Yubikey 5 series, iePass FIDO K44, MultiPass FIDO K25, ePass FIDO NFC K9 and K35, BioPass FIDO K26 and K27, and others.
How to enable MFA for your Nord Account?
Log into your Nord Account.
- If you are using a desktop device, click on your account name in the top right corner and choose Account Settings. Switch to a Multi-factor authentication (MFA) section, and click on the Multi-Factor authentication (MFA) card.
On a mobile device, tap on the free line sign, scroll down to the bottom of the menu, where you find Account Settings, and tap on Multi-factor authentication.
- Enter your password and click Verify. You will be given an option to set up an Authenticator app or a security key.
- If you choose to use the MFA app, a QR code and MFA key will appear; scan a code or enter the key to your authenticator app and click Continue.
- After finishing, steps above, you will be requested to enter a security code from your authenticator to complete the setup.
- You will be notified about MFA being successfully enabled. Click on Save Back up codes there. Make sure to save them somewhere or print them out if you lose access to the MFA app; when done, click Continue.
- Choose to set up a security key in your Nord Account settings.
- Follow the steps shown. Setup steps may differ depending on the security key.
- In the end, you will be suggested to log out from all devices. We strongly recommend doing that so that all of your devices that are used with Nord Account would be instantly protected with MFA.
As generating and remembering strong and secure passwords is not an easy task, we recommend downloading a free password manager like NordPass. It generates secure passwords for you and stores them safely, letting you avoid time-wasting password resets in the future.
NordPass offers native apps for Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, and iOS, so you can reach your passwords whenever and wherever you need them, even offline.