This article will help you set up the NordVPN application on your Mac and connect to a VPN server. The app uses the reliable and fast IKEv2/IPSec VPN protocol, which meets the highest security standards.
Note: The IKEv2 app is compatible with macOS 10.12 and later versions.
Table of contents:
- Downloading and installing
- Setting up and using the application
- Choosing between different servers
- Go to the NordVPN IKEv2 app page in the App Store: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/nordvpn-secure-vpn-via-ikev2/id1116599239?mt=12
Or click the download button on our downloads page.
- Click on the View in Mac App Store.
- When the App Store launches, click on the blue Get button.
- Once the download is finished, press on the green Install App button.
- Open your Launchpad and double-click on the NordVPN IKE icon.
- If you have a NordVPN account, click on Log In in the top-right corner of the screen. If you are a new user, click Sign Up to create an account.
- If you choose to log in, enter your NordVPN email address and password and then click on the blue Log In button.
Tip: Don't forget to use a strong password for your NordVPN account, as it will help you to avoid credential stuffing attacks and will keep your account safe.
As generating and remembering strong and secure passwords is not an easy task, we recommend downloading a free password manager like NordPass. It generates secure passwords for you and stores them safely, letting you avoid time-wasting password resets in the future.
NordPass offers native apps for Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, and iOS, so you can reach your passwords whenever and wherever you need them, even offline.
- The Quick Connect button in the top-right corner of the screen will automatically connect you to a recommended server based on our smart algorithm.
- When you connect for the first time, neagent will ask for access to NordVPN in your Keychain. Enter your Mac's password and click Always Allow.
- On the main screen of the app, you will see a country list and a map. You can browse through the servers in the left sidebar or connect to a specific country by clicking on its map-pin. Once connected, the country pin will turn green. Additionally, in the left sidebar, you may also see the Presets and the My favourites sections. The PROTECTED status label at the top of the screen means you’re connected to a VPN server. Additionally, next to the 'Disconnect' button there is a shield icon. Pressing on this will reveal a few set of options related to pausing the connection.
- If you want to connect to a specific server, click on the Search... field in the top-left corner of the app. Enter a country, region, a category, or a specific server number (e.g., 2905) to find what you need.
- The left sidebar displays all NordVPN servers organized by country and specialty.
- If you hover over a country in the list, you can click on the three-dot icon to see a menu where you can choose a specific region or server to connect to.
- You can add a server to your favorites by clicking the heart symbol next to it. To do that, hover over a country in the sidebar, then click on the three-dot icon. In the menu that appears, click on Servers and pick your favorites from the list.
- Your favorite servers will appear in a category named My Favourites. You can connect to them as you would to any other server.
Click on Preferences in the top-left corner of the app window to access the app preferences.
The Preferences menu lets you manage extra features, such as making the app Auto Connect when it launches or when you’re connected to a Wi-Fi network. You can also specify a country to automatically connect to.
Presets allow you to load up a specified set of configurations, including server number, type, protocol, and more - at a click of a button! You may find many uses for this feature, including, but not limited to: instantly loading up a streaming service or a game, along with the necessary settings to experience a smooth session.
How does it work?
It begins on the preferences page, as depicted above. You can either edit an existing preset or create your own one by pressing Add new.
In this case, we will be adding a new one, and building it up from scratch. After pressing Add new, you will see a menu that will allow you to select the settings you would like to use. At first, you need to give the preset a name. Next, you will be presented with a selection of available VPN protocols. If you change it from the default setting 'Use recommended..." you will also get access to altering the server type. Here you can set a specialty server or any regular one as your type.
Depending on the server-availability of the type that you select, you may also have the choice of selecting either a specific region or server number.
Finally, you may also add either a web page or an app to the preset. It will be displayed under the preset name on the main screen.
If you press on Add link, a field will appear where you can insert the URL of the website you would like to have easy access to. After inserting the URL, press Enter in order for it to be registered.
When you're done setting up the configuration, simply press Save preset, and it will be added to the main screen.