This article will help you set up the NordVPN application on your Mac and connect to a VPN server. The app uses the reliable and fast IKEv2/IPSec VPN protocol, which meets the highest security standards.
Note: The NordVPN (App Store) app is compatible with macOS 10.15 and later versions.
Table of contents:
- Dark Web Monitor
- Kill Switch
- Other Apps
- Go to the NordVPN IKEv2 app page in the App Store: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/nordvpn-vpn-fast-secure/id905953485#?platform=mac
Or click "download the App Store version of NordVPN" on our downloads page.
- Agree to Open App Store.
- When the App Store launches, click on the blue Get button and choose to Install the app.
- Once the download is finished, press the Open button.
- After you have successfully installed the NordVPN application, click on Log In in the top-right corner of the screen. If you are a new user, click Sign Up to create an account.
- If you want to log in, you will be redirected to your NordAccount where you will need to enter your registered email address and password. You can also sign in using a Google account, Apple ID or by entering a code.
- If you are a new user, you will need to create a new NordAccount by entering your email address and other required information.
- After completing any of the above steps, you will be prompted to open the NordVPN app. Agree to always allow NordAccount and grant access to the app.
- After successful login, you will be introduced to our main NordVPN application window.
Stay safe onlineAvoid online threats, share files, and connect to the world’s largest network of servers. Enjoy privacy with NordVPN.
- The Quick Connect button in the top-right corner of the screen will automatically connect you to a recommended server based on our smart algorithm.
- If you want to connect to a specific server, click on the Search... field in the top-left corner of the app. Enter a country, region, category, or specific server number (e.g., 2905) to find what you need.
- The left sidebar displays all NordVPN servers organized by country and specialty.
- To connect to the Specialty server, hover over one of the specialty server categories, and click on the three-dot menu to select a Country or Server.
- To connect to a specific country, click on it.
To change applications settings and find various features click on the three horizontal lines at the bottom-right corner of the app.
- Auto launch when computer starts opens the NordVPN app automatically every time you turn your device on.
- Threat Protection Lite feature protects you from cyber threats by blocking access to harmful websites.
- VPN Protocol lets you choose from 3 different connection protocols.
- Help Us Improve makes NordVPN better by sending us aggregated anonymous data.
- When using untrusted network you will automatically be connected to a network that is not added to a Trusted network list.
- Connect to a specific country from the list.
- The current network shows the network you are currently connected to.
- Trusted network list excludes VPN connections to listed Wi-Fi networks. So you won't be connected to a VPN on trusted Wi-Fi networks.
Presets allow you to load up a specified set of configurations, including server number, type, protocol, and more - at a click of a button! You may find many uses for this feature, including, but not limited to: instantly loading up a streaming service or a game, along with the necessary settings to experience a smooth session.
How does it work?
It begins on the preferences page, as depicted above. You can either edit an existing preset or create your own one by pressing Add new.
In this case, we will be adding a new one, and building it up from scratch. After pressing Add new, you will see a menu that will allow you to select the settings you would like to use. At first, you need to give the preset a name. Next, you will be presented with a selection of available VPN protocols. If you change it from the default setting 'Use recommended..." you will also get access to altering the server type. Here you can set a specialty server or any regular one as your type.
Depending on the server-availability of the type that you select, you may also have the choice of selecting either a specific region or server number.
Finally, you may also add either a web page or an app to the preset. It will be displayed under the preset name on the main screen.
If you press on Add link, a field will appear where you can insert the URL of the website you would like to have easy access to. After inserting the URL, press Enter in order for it to be registered. When you're done setting up the configuration, simply press Save preset, and it will be added to the main screen.
- Meshnet feature helps you to access devices over encrypted private tunnels. To find more information click here.
- Statistics show you more information about your connection.
- Dark Web Monitor scans the internet for any credential leaks associated with your registered NordVP e-mail address. To find more information about it click here.
- Advanced Kill Switch is an additional layer of security that can be enabled to prevent WebRTC leaks. However, it functions separately from the system-wide Internet Kill Switch. You can find more information about Kill Switch here.
- Appearance settings let you add application to your dock, menu bar, or both. Also, it offers you to choose the app theme between systems, dark and light mode.
- Other Apps offers you other Nord Security products.