This article is available in German.
During troubleshooting with our Customer Support team, they may ask you to upload a screenshot of how a specific application or website looks on your device to help diagnose the issue.
Windows Vista and Windows include a built-in app to take screenshots called the Snipping Tool.
- To open and use the Snipping Tool, select the Start button that looks like the Windows logo, click on the search bar and type "Snipping tool", and then select it in the search results.
- Once the App launches you can see a window with screenshot options like the shape and the timer. Choose Free-form, Rectangular, Window, or Full-screen Snip and press the Windows logo key + Shift + S (all at the same time).
Another option to achieve the same result is pressing New, choosing the shape that you wish to make the screenshot in, and using your cursor while pressing the left button on your mouse.
When making free-form or rectangular snips, use your mouse to select the area that you want to capture. Usually, this will be your browser window, the NordVPN app, or a specific application.
- When the screenshot (snip) is made, a window will pop up in the bottom right corner of your screen. Click on it.
- The Snipping Tool window will extend and you will be able to see more tools like marker, eraser, and image crop (1), which will allow you to edit the screenshot, and the save and copy buttons (2) that will assist in saving and sharing the screenshot.
- Use the Save button at the top of the Snipping Tool window to save the screenshot to an image file, choose a clear name for the screenshot and the location where you will be able to easily find it, and press "Save".
- If you're chatting with our Customer Support via Live Chat, you can select "Attach file" on the lower left side of the chat. That will open a window where you can navigate to the folder you saved the screenshot in (i.e. your desktop), and you will be able to select it. You can also drag and drop the screenshot file from your desktop into the chat window.
If you're contacting our Customer Support via E-mail, you can attach the screenshot file as an attachment to the e-mail, as you would with any other file.