Note: IKEv2/IPSec protocol is no longer supported on macOS on NordVPN 8.5.0 and newer app versions.
If you have updated your macOS to the latest (Ventura) version, follow this guide to set up a manual IKEv2/IPSec connection. If you have an older macOS version, click here.
Manual connection setup
- First, download the NordVPN IKEv2 certificate to your macOS. The easiest way is to click this link on your macOS device.
Once downloaded, open the certificate file in the Downloads folder.
- A Keychain Access window will open up. Locate the NordVPN Root CA within the login section. Right-click on it and select Get Info.
- Under NordVPN Root CA, click on the Trust section and set the IP Security (IPSec) and Extensible Authentication (EAP) fields to Always Trust. Leave all other fields as Never Trust. You will have to enter your Mac password to make these changes. Once done, close the keychain.
- Click on the Apple logo in the upper-right corner of the screen and select System Settings....
- In the System Settings, click on Network.
- When the network tab opens, click on the arrow down icon (1) in the lower-right corner (you must have administrator privileges) and then click on "Add VPN Configuration" (2). After that, click on "IKEv2" (3).
- The settings for the new VPN connection will now be displayed. In the Server Address and Remote ID fields, type the server hostname of a NordVPN server.
For the sake of this tutorial, we used the hostname of server us8374.nordvpn.com, but you should connect to a server suggested to you at https://nordvpn.com/servers/tools/. You will find the server hostname right above the server title.
- Scroll down to Authentication and in the Type section select Username as the Authentication method. After that, type in your NordVPN service username and password. Click Create.
You can find your NordVPN service credentials (service username and service password) in the Nord Account dashboard:
- Click Set up NordVPN manually.
- You will receive a verification code in your email that you use for NordVPN services. Type the code in:
- Copy the credentials using the “Copy” buttons on the right:
- After these steps, a VPN tab will appear below Network in the System Settings. After you click on it, you will see a VPN connection present. In order to connect to a VPN server, click on a button next to it.
- That’s it! You should now be connected. After clicking on VPN, you can connect to and disconnect from a VPN in the same VPN tab within the System Settings.
If you want to add different servers, you may also do it via the VPN tab. In order to do so, click on "Add VPN Configuration" and choose "IKEv2", afterward follow the same steps as before.