This is a step-by-step tutorial on how to configure a connection manually on an iOS device (iPhone/iPad) using the IKEv2 protocol.
- Download the NordVPN IKEv2 certificate to your device. You can do so by opening this link in Safari: https://downloads.nordcdn.com/certificates/root.der
- The certificate installation dialogue will appear. Tap Install in each step:
- Once the certificate is installed, tap Done to complete the installation.
3.1. On iOS 12.2 and later versions, after you download the certificate, you might see a pop-up saying "Profile Downloaded - Review the profile in Settings app if you want to install it".
3.2. Navigate to your device Settings > Profile Downloaded > NordVPN Root CA > Install > Trust.
If you cannot see the Profile Downloaded button, go to Settings > General > Profiles. You should find the downloaded profile there.
- Now you have to determine which server to connect to. Go to https://nordvpn.com/servers/tools/. The tool will pick a server recommended for you. In our case, the recommended server is US #810 with the hostname us810.nordvpn.com. We will use this server as a reference in all further steps.
- Go to Settings > General > VPN.
- Tap on Add VPN Configuration....
- Fill the boxes as follows:
Description: Any preferred name for the VPN connection
Server: The hostname of the server (see step 4)
Remote ID: The same hostname as in the Server field
Local ID: Leave empty
User Authentication: Username
Username: Your NordVPN service username
Password: Your NordVPN service password
You can find your NordVPN service credentials (username and password) in the Nord Account dashboard. Copy the credentials using the “Copy” buttons on the right.
- To enable the VPN, go back to the device Settings and click on the toggle switch next to VPN.
Tip: Your VPN connection safety depends on your account password too. Don't forget to use a strong password on your account, as it will help you to avoid credential stuffing attacks and will keep your connections safe and uninterrupted.
As generating and remembering strong and secure passwords is not an easy task, we recommend downloading our free password manager — NordPass. It generates secure passwords for you and stores them safely, letting you avoid time-wasting password resets in the future.