This is a step-by-step tutorial on how to configure a connection manually on an iOS device (iPhone/iPad) using the IKEv2 protocol.
Note: IKEv2/IPSec protocol is no longer supported on iOS on NordVPN 8.10.1 and newer app versions.
- Download the NordVPN IKEv2 certificate to your device. You can do so by opening this link in Safari: https://downloads.nordcdn.com/certificates/root.der
- The certificate installation dialogue will appear. Tap Install in each step:
- Once the certificate is installed, tap Done to complete the installation.
3.1. On iOS 12.2 and later versions, after you download the certificate, you might see a pop-up saying "Profile Downloaded - Review the profile in Settings app if you want to install it".
3.2. Navigate to your device Settings > Profile Downloaded > NordVPN Root CA > Install > Trust.
If you cannot see the Profile Downloaded button, go to Settings > General > Profiles. You should find the downloaded profile there.
- Now you have to determine which server to connect to. Go to https://nordvpn.com/servers/tools/. The tool will pick a server recommended for you. In our case, the recommended server is US #810 with the hostname us810.nordvpn.com. We will use this server as a reference in all further steps.
- Go to Settings > General > VPN.
Note: If you are using a newer version of iOS (15+) find the VPN setting section by the following pathway:
General > VPN & Device Management > VPN
- Tap on Add VPN Configuration...
- Fill the boxes as follows:
Description: Any preferred name for the VPN connection
Server: The hostname of the server (see step 4)
Remote ID: The same hostname as in the Server field
Local ID: Leave empty
User Authentication: Username
Username: Your NordVPN service username
Password: Your NordVPN service password
You can find your NordVPN service credentials (username and password) through the Nord Account dashboard:
- Go to the menu bar:
- Click NordVPN.
- Scroll down and click Set up NordVPN manually.
- You will receive a verification code in your email that you use for NordVPN services. Type the code in:
- Copy the credentials using the Copy button below.
- Go to the menu bar:
- To enable the VPN, go back to the device Settings and click on the toggle switch next to VPN.