This article is available in Danish, German, French, Italian, Spanish, Norwegian, Swedish, Dutch, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Brazilian-Portuguese, and Traditional Chinese.
In 2022, Asus introduced a new version of Asus WRT for the following routers: ASUS ZenWiFi XT9, ROG Rapture GT-AXE11000, RT-AX88U, RT-AX86U, RT-AX86S, and RT-AXE7800. If you have an older version, follow our guide on setting up a VPN connection with older Asus WRT firmware.
How to set up an OpenVPN connection
- First, you must log in to your Asus router's control panel. You can do that by typing “192.168.1.1” (or “192.168.50.1” if it does not work) in the address bar of your browser, or by entering “router.asus.com” or “asusrouter.com” into the WEB GUI. A window will pop up asking for your username and password. For some router models, “admin” is both the default username and password, but you may also be asked to set up your credentials.
- Once you have logged into the control panel, select “VPN” in the left sidebar menu and click on the “VPN Fusion” tab at the top of the page.
- Click on the “Add profile” or the “+” buttons.
- In the pop-up window, select the “OpenVPN” VPN type and fill in the following fields:
Connection name: Any name you like
Username: Your NordVPN service username
Password: Your NordVPN service password
You can find your NordVPN service credentials (service username and service password) in the Nord Account dashboard. Copy the credentials by clicking on the “Copy” buttons next to them.
- Download the OpenVPN client configuration files by using the NordVPN server utility.
Once you have downloaded the files, go back to the control panel of your router and click the “Import .ovpn” file in the pop-up window.
- After filling in the fields and uploading the “Import .ovpn” configuration file, select which devices you wish to route through a VPN tunnel. You can do so by pressing the pen icon in the upper-right corner of the “Device” section.
Select which devices you wish to include by ticking the checkmark box and clicking “OK.”
- Press "Apply and enable."
Your IP address and protection status will be visible at the top of the NordVPN page. Please make sure to refresh the webpage because it might be loaded from the cache.