ASUS RT-AC66U (non-B1) and RT-N66U routers are not supported by NordVPN service.
How to set up an OpenVPN connection with NordVPN on your Asus router:
- Log into the control panel of your Asus VPN router by typing 192.168.1.1 in the address bar of your browser. In case the specified IP address does not work, try 192.168.50.1 instead. Alternatively, enter router.asus.com or asusrouter.com instead of the IP address into the address bar. A window will pop up, asking you to enter your username and password. Unless you have changed your credentials, the default username is admin, and the default password is admin (or no password).
- After logging into the Control Panel, select VPN in the left sidebar menu.
- Click on the VPN Client tab at the top of the page.
- Click the Add profile button at the bottom of the page.
- In the pop-up window, select the OpenVPN tab and fill in the fields:
Description: Give the connection any name you like.
Username: Your NordVPN service username.
Password: Your NordVPN service password.
Auto reconnection: Yes.
You can find your NordVPN service credentials (service username and service password) in the Nord Account dashboard:
- Click Set up NordVPN manually.
- You will receive a verification code in the email you use for NordVPN services. Type the code in.
- Copy the credentials using the “Copy” buttons on the right.
- Download the OpenVPN client configuration files. We suggest using our server picker tool.
- After downloading the files, go back to the control panel of your router and click Choose File in the pop-up window.
- Navigate to the configuration file you have just downloaded and click Open.
- Click Upload. You should see the message Complete! when the file has been uploaded successfully.
- Leave the “Import the CA file or edit the .ovpn file manually” box unchecked and click OK.
- In the VPN Client tab, you will see the created connection. Click Activate to connect your router to NordVPN. Please note that you can create only one OpenVPN connection.
- A blue checkmark should appear in the Connection Status column, indicating that you are now connected to the VPN on the Asus router.
- Your IP address and protection status will be visible at the top of the nordvpn.com page. Please make sure to refresh the webpage, as it might be loaded from the cache. If you still don't see it, clear the browser cache.
To disconnect from NordVPN, click on the Deactivate button, which appears instead of the Activate button in the Connection column.