If you have more than six devices that you wish to be connected to under one NordVPN account at the same time or looking to set up a VPN connection on your router - an OpenVPN connection is a go-to choice.
You can set up a NordVPN connection on TP-Link routers that have OpenVPN client settings available. For a complete list of compatible routers, please refer to TP-Link documentation.
If your router is compatible with NordVPN, log in to the control panel of your TP-Link router. It can usually be accessed using one of the following IP addresses via an internet browser:
192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1
- Navigate to Advanced > VPN Client.
- Enable VPN Client, then save the settings.
- In the Server List section, please click Add, and a new profile configuration window should show up.
- In the pop-up window, fill in the available fields as follows:
Description: NordVPN (or any other name that you prefer)
VPN Type: OpenVPN
Username: your NordVPN service username
Password: your NordVPN service password
- You can find your NordVPN service credentials (service username and service password) in the Nord Account dashboard: https://my.nordaccount.com/login/.
You will receive a verification code in your email that you use for NordVPN services. Type the code in:
Copy the credentials using the Copy buttons on the right:
- Paste credentials to the router interface profile window.
- Now you need to download OpenVPN client configuration files. For this, we recommend going into our recommended server utility: https://nordvpn.com/servers/tools/
If you are not certain if you should set up a UDP or TCP OpenVPN connection, you can read more about it here.
- Once you have downloaded the files, go back to the control panel of your router and click Browse in the pop-up window.
- Navigate to the configuration file you have just downloaded and click Open
- Save the configured settings by clicking the Save button.
In the Server List, enable the newly created NordVPN connection.
In the Device List section, click on the Add button.
- Choose the devices that you wish to use the VPN connection and click on the OK button.
- Enable VPN Access for the added devices by clicking on the slider.
Now all of the devices that you have added to the Device List will have access to the VPN connection. To add any new devices, you would need to repeat steps 11 and 12.