On 1 December 2018, NordVPN’s servers stopped supporting L2TP/IPsec and PPTP connections. More about that in this article.
If you use any of the routers listed below with their native firmware, you will not be able to use them with our service:
- Linksys (except WRT32X/WRT32XB AC3200)
- Most ISP-provided routers that were mentioned above
You can install the following custom firmware on some of the aforementioned models to make them work:
- DD-WRT: https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices
- Tomato: https://tomato.groov.pl/?page_id=69
- Padavan: https://en.techinfodepot.shoutwiki.com/wiki/List_of_Padavan_firmware_supported_devices
- OpenWRT: https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/start
- Merlin: https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Supported-Devices
Other tips for router connectivity:
- If your router supports the OpenVPN protocol, search our knowledge base for the name of its manufacturer. You should find a tutorial on how to set it up. You can also check our router tutorials section under the Connectivity category. If you cannot find the setup guide for your router, contact our customer support for help.
- If you want a router with out-of-the-box security and anonymity that NordVPN provides, head over to our partners at FlashRouters. They offer pre-configured routers delivering top-notch security and performance.
- Here is our list of recommended routers for NordVPN.