Note: Our servers have recently been blocked by the Chinese firewall and as such connecting from China is currently not possible. Our team is working on the issue - all the latest updates will be posted here.
These instructions will help you to connect to NordVPN on Android using the IKEv2 protocol.
- Download the NordVPN IKEv2 connection certificate.
- Download and install the strongSwan VPN Client app from Google Play.
- Open the strongSwan application.
- Tap on the three-dot icon in the top-right corner of the app and select "CA certificates" from the drop-down menu.
- In the following screen, tap on the three-dot icon again and select "Import certificate."
- Select the "root.der" file that you have downloaded in step 1.
- Confirm your selection by tapping "Import certificate."
- Tap the left-pointing arrow to go back to the main screen of the strongSwan app.
- Select "Add VPN profile."
- In the "Server" field, enter the hostname of a NordVPN server.
For the sake of this tutorial, the server hostname will be “us6180.nordvpn.com.” To find the best server for you, use NordVPN’s server utility for a recommendation. Press “Show advanced options” and select the “IKEv2/IPsec” security protocol.
Enter your NordVPN service credentials in the “Username” and “Password” fields.
You can find your NordVPN service credentials (service username and password) in the Nord Account dashboard. Copy the credentials using the “Copy” buttons next to them.
All other settings can stay the same. You can give the profile whatever name you want in the “Profile name” field.
Once you have entered all the required information, click "Save."
- To connect, tap the profile you have just created.
- The application will ask you for the permissions necessary to form a VPN connection. Tap "OK."
Note: Different devices may display different warning messages.
- If the status field shows that you are “Connected,” the connection to the VPN server has been successful. You can now minimize the application and use your device as usual – your internet traffic is now secured by NordVPN.
To disconnect from the server, tap "Disconnect."