These instructions will help you to connect to NordVPN using the IKEv2 protocol.
- Download the NordVPN IKEv2 connection certificate here.
- Download and install the strongSwan VPN Client app from Google Play.
- Open the strongSwan application.
- Tap on the three-dot icon in the top-right corner of the app and select CA certificates from the drop-down menu.
- On the screen that opens, tap on the three-dot icon again and select Import certificate.
- Select the root.der file you downloaded in Step 1.
- Confirm by tapping Import Certificate.
- Tap the left-pointing arrow to go back to the main screen of the strongSwan app.
- Select Add VPN profile.
- In the Server field, enter the hostname of one of our servers.
For the sake of the tutorial, we used the ‘us6180.nordvpn.com’ server hostname, but you should connect to a server suggested to you at https://nordvpn.com/servers/tools/. Click on Show advanced options and select the IKEv2/IPsec security protocol.
In the Username and Password fields, enter your NordVPN service credentials.
You can find your NordVPN service credentials (service username and password) in the Nord Account dashboard. Copy the credentials using the “Copy” buttons on the right.
All other settings can stay the same. Optionally, you can give the profile whichever name you want in the Profile name field.
Once you have entered all the information, click Save.
- To connect, tap the profile you have just created.
- The application will ask you for permissions necessary for the VPN connection. Click OK.
Note: Different devices may display slightly different warning messages.
- Once you see a status saying you are Connected, you have successfully connected to the VPN server. You can now minimize the application and use your device as usual – all of your internet traffic is now secure and goes through a VPN.
Tap Disconnect to disconnect from the server.