Multi-factor authentication (MFA) is a security mechanism used to verify the identity of a user by requiring the presentation of two or more authentication factors: password, PIN, token, USB security key, fingerprint, or facial recognition.
There are two MFA options for Nord Account:
- You may use authenticator applications to generate a code, such as Google Authenticator, Microsoft Authenticator, Authy, or any other. Any one of those apps will create a code that you must enter whenever accessing Nord Account. The code changes every 30 seconds.
- A second option is to use a security key. It can be a Bluetooth, NFC, or USB security key that will hold a unique PIN and ensure effortless access only for you. Nord Account supports USB security keys certified by FIDO2. That includes the Security Key series, Yubikey 5 series, iePass FIDO K44, MultiPass FIDO K25, ePass FIDO NFC K9 and K35, BioPass FIDO K26 and K27, and others.
How to enable MFA for your Nord Account?
- Log into your Nord Account.
- If you are using a desktop device, click on your account name in the top right corner and choose Account Settings. Switch to a Multi-factor authentication (MFA) section, and click on the Multi-Factor authentication (MFA) card.
On a mobile device, tap on the free line sign, scroll down to the bottom of the menu, where you find Account Settings, and tap on Multi-factor authentication.
- Enter your password and click Verify. You will be given an option to set up an Authenticator app or a security key.
- If you choose to use the MFA app an MFA key will appear; enter the key to your authenticator app and click Continue.
- After finishing, the steps above, you will be requested to enter a security code from your authenticator to complete the setup.
- You will be notified about MFA being successfully enabled. Click on Save Back up codes there. Make sure to save them somewhere or print them out if you lose access to the MFA app; when done, click Continue.
As another option, you can use a security key to add MFA feature.
- Choose to set up a security key in your Nord Account settings.
- Follow the steps shown. Setup steps may differ depending on the security key.
- In the end, you will be suggested to log out from all devices. We strongly recommend doing that so that all of your devices that are used with Nord Account would be instantly protected with MFA.