This tutorial will teach you how to install and use NordVPN on an iPhone and iPad.
Table of contents:
- Connect to a specific country
- Connect to a specific city
- Connect to a specific server
- Connect to a specialty server
- Managing favorite servers
- Open the App Store.
- Search for NordVPN.
Note: NordVPN may not appear in the App Store in certain regions with VPN restrictions. If that’s the case, follow this guide on how to download the NordVPN app for iPad and iPhone from such locations.
- Tap the Download button.
- After the download is finished tap on the "OPEN" button.
- The application window will ask you to register a new account. If you already have a NordVPN account, click login at the bottom of the screen.
If you don't have an account yet and you're going to be signing up, you will be transferred to NordAccount where you'll first have to enter your email address, and press 'Continue'. Once you sign up, you will be brought back into the NordVPN app where you will be prompted to pick a plan before you may begin using the service.
- After successfully purchasing the service, a privacy notification will appear. Click Agree & Continue.
- Once logged in, you will see a map and the Quick Connect button, which will automatically connect you to a server recommended to you by our smart algorithm which chooses a server based on your needs and preferences.
- When connecting for the first time, you will be asked to allow NordVPN to add VPN configurations. This is a standard warning message, as VPN configurations are necessary for connecting to VPN servers. NordVPN is a respectable VPN service provider, so tap Allow to continue.
- If you are using Touch ID, you will be asked to confirm your choice with your fingerprint.
- Once connected, a country pin on the map will turn green, and you will see the Connected to (country) message above the map. A VPN icon will also appear in the status bar along the upper edge of the screen, letting you know if you’re connected.
- Tap on a country dot and press QUICK CONNECT to automatically connect to the best server for you in that country.
- You can also view all available countries and specialty servers by swiping up from the bottom of the app with no country dot selected. Tap on the country where you want to automatically connect to a server.
- You can tap on the three dots next to a country to select a specific city. NordVPN will sort the available servers based on your needs, letting you choose the best option.
- You can also tap Search to find a specific server using its server number.
- To add a server to your favorites, tap the heart icon next to it in the server list.
- To access your favorite servers, swipe up from the bottom of the screen while on the main map. You will see your Favorites folder.
- If you wish to disconnect from a server, tap on the "DISCONNECT" button at the bottom of the screen.
- If you have the Auto-Connet turned on, tap on the "MANAGE" button and choose to Disable Auto-Connect.
- To pause the connection, tap on "PAUSE" and decide how long you wish to pause your secure connection.
- While on the map screen, you can tap the menu icon in the bottom-right corner to access app settings.
- You will see your subscription details and find 7 sections: VPN connection, Tools, General, Security level, Contact us, Rate us on App Store, Rate us on the App Store, and Tell friends about NordVPN.
Protocol: this feature lets you switch between Nordlynx, IKEv2, TCP, and UDP connection protocols. More about them and their benefits you can find here.
Auto-Connect: with Auto-Connect enabled, the NordVPN app will automatically run and connect you to a secure VPN server whenever your phone is on and is connected to a Wi-Fi network. In the TRUSTED WI-FI NETWORKS section, you can disable Auto-Connect on specific networks. For example, you can make an exception for a trusted home Wi-Fi network.
Reset VPN profile: this allows you to reset your application settings to default and remove your custom configurations.
Threat Protection (Lite): this helps you to block unsafe websites and unwanted ads. More about this feature you can find here.
Dark Web Monitor: by turning this feature on you will be warned about your credentials being leaked online, check what you need to do in case of a leak here.
Siri shortcuts: lets you create specific Siri phrases to control the application hands-free.
Appearance: you may choose your preferred application appearance here and switch to the dark theme.
Multi-factor authentication: a security feature that helps protect access to your account. When MFA is turned on, it requires you to pass an extra step during the log-in process.
Notifications: this feature lets you to turn off or on application notifications
Help us improve: by turning this feature on you provide us with anonymous data that helps us improve our service.
Subscription and privacy info: all your subscription-related information can be found here.
These steps will guide you on how to be fully protected by using NordVPN.
Tip: Don't forget to use a strong password for your NordVPN account, as it will help you to avoid credential stuffing attacks and will keep your account safe.
As generating and remembering strong and secure passwords is not an easy task, we recommend downloading a free password manager, like NordPass. It generates secure passwords for you and stores them safely, letting you avoid time-wasting password resets in the future.
NordPass offers native apps for Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, and iOS, so you can reach your passwords whenever and wherever you need them, even offline.