You can manually configure DNS servers on Windows. Here’s how:
1. Right-click the network icon (or the Wi-Fi icon if you are connected to Wi-Fi) in the taskbar notification area and select Network and Sharing Center.
2. Select Change adapter options.
3. Right-click the TAP-NordVPN Windows adapter V9 and choose Properties.
4. Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click Properties.
5. Select Use the following DNS server addresses and enter NordVPN's DNS addresses:
Preferred DNS server: 126.96.36.199
Alternate DNS server: 188.8.131.52
6. Repeat steps 3-5 for your physical network adapter, which will be called Ethernet or Wi-Fi (depending on which one you use).
Congratulations! You have changed your DNS.
Tip: Your VPN connection safety depends on your account password too. Don't forget to use a strong password on your account, as it will help you to avoid credential stuffing attacks and will keep your connections safe and uninterrupted.
As generating and remembering strong and secure passwords is not an easy task, we recommend downloading our free password manager — NordPass. It generates secure passwords for you and stores them safely, letting you avoid time-wasting password resets in the future.