If you want an out-of-the-box solution with extra safety and privacy, head over to our partners at FlashRouters. They offer some of the best routers for NordVPN pre-configured to deliver top-notch security and performance.
You can also buy a router and configure it yourself. These are the routers we recommend to home users without high-performance requirements (up to 10-40 Mbps with OpenVPN encryption): RT-AC66U B1, RT-AC86U, Asus RT-AX3000.
We strongly recommend getting an Asus router. While there are many different routers available from other manufacturers, most Asus routers have a built-in OpenVPN client and require little effort to set up. Most other routers require firmware flashing, which might be tricky and does not work on all platforms.
If you want a router that provides the best possible performance (up to 60 Mbps with OpenVPN encryption), here are a few options to consider:
- Asus: RT-AX86U, RT-AX88U (AX6000), RT-AC5300
- D-Link (requires flashing with DD-WRT): DIR-885L, DIR-895L
- Linksys (requires flashing with DD-WRT): EA8500, WRT1900ACS, WRT3200ACM
- Netgear (requires flashing with DD-WRT): R7500, R7800, R8500, R9000
You can also buy any router that supports the following custom firmware:
- DD-WRT: https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices
- Tomato: https://tomato.groov.pl/?page_id=69
- Padavan: https://en.techinfodepot.shoutwiki.com/wiki/List_of_Padavan_firmware_supported_devices
- OpenWRT: https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/start
- Merlin: https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Supported-Devices
The next step will be to learn how to set up NordVPN on your router.