This article is available in French, German, Dutch, Italian, Spanish, Norwegian, Swedish, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese-Brazilian, and Traditional Chinese.
Please note: For a smooth experience, your router needs to be running OpenVPN 2.4.x. Here's how to check the OpenVPN version. If you have a newer Asus WRT firmware, you will find a guide on how to connect to a VPN here.
How to set up an OpenVPN connection with NordVPN on your Asus router:
- First, you need to log in to the control panel of your Asus VPN router. You can do that by typing 192.168.1.1 (in case this IP address does not work, you can type 192.168.50.1) in the address bar of your browser. You may also enter router.asus.com or asusrouter.com instead of the IP address into the WEB GUI. A window will pop up, asking you to enter your username and password. Unless you have changed your credentials, the default username is admin, and the default password is admin (or no password).
- Once you have logged in to the Control Panel, select VPN in the left sidebar menu.
- Click on the VPN Client tab at the top of the page.
- Click on the Add profile button at the bottom of the page.
- In the pop-up window, select the OpenVPN tab and fill in the fields:
Description: you can give the connection any name you like
Username: your NordVPN service username
Password: your NordVPN service password
Auto reconnection: yes
You can find your NordVPN service credentials (service username and service password) in the Nord Account dashboard. Copy the credentials by clicking on the Copy buttons next to the credentials.
- Now you need to download the OpenVPN client configuration files. We suggest using our server utility.
- Once you have downloaded the files, go back to the control panel of your router and click Choose File in the pop-up window.
- Navigate to the configuration file you have just downloaded and click Open.
- Click Upload. You should see the message Complete! when the file has been uploaded successfully.
- Leave the box next to “Import the CA file or edit the .ovpn file manually” unchecked and click OK.
- In the VPN Client tab, you will see the created connection. Click Activate to connect your router to NordVPN. Please note that you can create only one OpenVPN connection.
- A blue checkmark should appear in the Connection Status column, indicating that you are now connected to VPN on Asus router.
- Your IP address and protection status will be visible at the top of the nordvpn.com page. Please make sure to refresh the webpage, as it might be loaded from the cache.
To disconnect from NordVPN, click on the Deactivate button, which appears instead of the Activate button in the Connection column.