This article is available in Polish, French, German, Dutch, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Spanish, Swedish, and Portuguese-Brazilian.
If you are experiencing a slow connection speed while connected to NordVPN on macOS, try the following:
- Make sure to use the latest version of NordVPN app. You can uinstall the app as shown in this guide and install the latest version from our website by clicking here.
- Restart your device.
- If you are using Wi-Fi, switch to a wired connection.
- Connect to a VPN server geographically closer to you.
- If you are using a P2P-based program (typically, software for downloading), make sure you are connected to a P2P-optimized server.
- If you are using the OpenVPN app downloaded from our website, open the app settings and switch from the default UDP protocol to TCP. If you are using the NordVPN IKE app downloaded from the App Store, switch to the NordLynx protocol.
- Try a different application version (NordVPN IKE or OpenVPN). You can download it here.
Internet speed can also be directly affected by the condition of both your hardware and firmware. Here’s what we recommend:
- Close any applications that may be transferring data in the background, e.g. software for downloading or file sharing.
- Old and sometimes even new routers provided to you by your internet service provider often use outdated firmware or are technically poorly manufactured. This can directly impact your internet speed, so we recommend investing in a better router.