You can connect an iOS device using a variety of connection methods.
Select a connection method below:
This is a tutorial on how to install and use the NordVPN application for iOS devices (iPhone / iPad).
First of all you should download and install the NordVPN application to your device.
Downloading and installing
- 1. Open the App Store.
- 2. Search for NordVPN.
- 3. Tap the Download button.
- 4. The NordVPN app will install. The app icon will appear on your homescreen. Tap it to open the app.
- 5. The Sign-in screen will appear. Sign in to your NordVPN account here, or, alternatively, register a new one.
- 6. Once logged in, you will be greeted with the main screen of the application. You can see the country map in the background, with the Quick Connect button in the middle. You can tap this button to quickly connect to NordVPN servers.
Using a complex formula that includes various server parameters, Quick Connect chooses the best server for you at that moment.
- 7. When connecting for the first time, a dialog window will open asking you to allow the NordVPN app to connect to a VPN server. You will receive a notification about it from our application .
- 8.This is a default warning message, and since NordVPN is a trustworthy VPN provider, you can safely tap Allow .
- 9. Once connected, the Quick Connect button will light-up with a green color. You will also have a “VPN” icon in the status bar at the top of your screen, indicating that you are currently connected to a VPN server. This icon will be visible from any app - that way you can ensure that you are always connected.
- 10. You can also tap any of the country pins and quickly connect to a server from that country by tapping the quick connect button or Pick a server option and selecting a specific server to connect to.
- 11. Alternatively, you can open a list of the available countries and specialty servers by selecting the List tab at the bottom of the app. To connect, simply tap the power button next to the country.
- 12. You can also tap on the group of servers and get a more detailed selection. Our application determines what servers are the best for you by looking into various different server parameters and sorts them accordingly. You can also sort servers by alphanumerical order, distance or latency. Also, by clicking on the heart next to a server, you can add it to your favorite servers or click back and return to the regular list.
- 12. In the top left corner of the application you can tap on the account icon and access your Account information and Settings.
- 13. Here you can find information about your subscription.
The Kill Switch feature, which disables system-wide internet access if you are not connected to a VPN server, meanwhile it also tries you to automatically reconnect to the most recently used server.
The X at the top right corner will return you to the regular menu of the application.
- 14. The heart icon, that is at the top-right corner of the application, will take you to your favorite servers menu where they can be accessed quickly.
Please note that steps 1-2 are suggested to be performed on your computer.
- 1. Download the .OVPN configuration files here: https://nordvpn.com/api/files/zip
- 2. Once you have downloaded the configuration file archive, you can extract them on your PC, and e-mail them to yourself. If you don't have a PC nearby, you can also use a free archive manager from the App store to extract the files on your iOS device itself.
- 3. Go to the App store with your iPad/iPhone.
- 4. Tap on Search.
- 5. Enter openvpn connect in the search bar.
- 6. Tap on Free button.
- 7. Tap on Install.
- 8. Sign in to iTunes store with your account and tap OK.
- 9. Once it has finished installing, go to your Mail app.
- 10. Tap on one of the attached configuration files that you have sent to yourself.
- 11. Select Open in OpenVPN.
- 12. Tap on the green plus button. NOTE: To add more servers you need to perform steps 10-12 with other configuration files as well.
- 13. Enter your NordVPN credentials and mark the password to be saved in keychain.
- 14. Tap on the button to connect to VPN.
- 15. You have successfully connected.
- 16. To change a server tap on the External certificate profile.
- 17. Select a server from the list by tapping on it.
- 18. To disconnect tap on the same button as to connect.
This is a tutorial on how to manually connect to NordVPN servers on iOS (iPhone/iPad), using the IKEv2 protocol.
- 1. First, download the NordVPN IKEv2 certificate to your device. The easiest way would be to open this link on the device itself: https://downloads.nordvpn.com/certificates/root.der
- 2. The certificate installation dialog will appear. Tap Install in each of the steps.
- 3. Once installed, tap Done .
- 4. Open the VPN menu in your device Settings, and tap Add VPN Configuration…
- 5. Type in these settings:
Type : IKEv2
Description : (any name you want, this field does not matter)
Server : The hostname of your chosen NordVPN server. You can find our server list with the hostnames here: https://nordvpn.com/servers/ (in our case, we chose us333.nordvpn.com)
Remote ID : The same hostname as the Server field.
Local ID : Leave empty.
User Authentication : Username
Username : Your NordVPN account username.
Password : Your NordVPN account password.
Proxy : Off.
Afterwards tap Done .
- 6. The VPN configuration will appear in the VPN menu. Tap the Status slider to connect.
- 7. Once the slider turns green, you will be successfully connected to NordVPN servers!
If you wish to set up the L2TP connection manually, please follow the instructions below.
- 1. Go to the Settings -> General
- 2. Then go to VPN
- 3. Click on Add VPN Configuration…
- 4. For type select L2TP or IPSec
- 5. Description: NordVPN L2TP (you can enter anything you want)
Server: L2TP server IP or hostname ( check our server list )
Account: your VPN username
RSA SecurID: OFF
Password: your VPN password
Send All Traffic: ON
- 6. You can now connect to the VPN. Just select your VPN configuration and turn on VPN.
If you wish to set up the PPTP connection manually, please follow the instructions below.
- 1. Go to the Settings -> General
- 2. Go to VPN -> Add VPN Configuration…
- 3. Select PPTP protocol.
- 4. In the Server field type the name or the IP address of a NordVPN server. You have to login to your profile and go to our server list . You will find the available servers there.
Enter your account name, password, encryption level – Maximum, select Send All Traffic and press Save.
- 5. You can now connect to the VPN!