This is a tutorial on how to set up NordVPN on a Synology DiskStation Manager. Choose one of the connection guides below:
This tutorial is for DSM 6.0+ version.
1. Login to your Synology and then go to Control Panel.
2. Navigate to Network.
3. Press on Network Interface -> Create -> Create VPN Profile.
4. Select OpenVPN (via importing a .ovpn file) and press Next.
5. Fill in the fields as in the following picture and press Next. You can download the OpenVPN configuration files here: https://nordvpn.com/api/files/zip
6. Select all options and press Next.
7. Select the newly created profile and press Connect.
Once you establish the connection, the status of this profile will change to Connected.
If you will run into troubles while trying to establish the connection - please open our ovpn file on your computer and add this line:
Afterwards import the new ovpn file again into your Synology and try connecting once more. Send us the log file which will be printed in this directory:
This is the tutorial on how to set up your Synology NAS based on DiskStation Manager (DSM) 5.1 version. The instructions were made for connection to the Swedish #3 server. Special thanks to @davmojo for providing these instructions.
- 1. Login to your Synology NAS control panel.
- 2. Go to Control Panel.
- 3. Go to Network.
- 4. Create a new VPN Profile.
- 5. Choose OpenVPN option.
- 6. Download the latest CA certificates from this link and extract the package.
- 7. Return to your web browser and enter the following details:
Profile Name – choose any name you like;
Server Address – the NordVPN server hostname or IP address;
User name – your NordVPN username;
Password – your NordVPN password;
Port – 1194 (recommended);
Protocol – UDP (recommended);
Cerificate – go to the folder where you have extracted the CA certificates and select the corresponding CA certificate to the server you will use.
- 8. On the Advanced settings screen – enable all the options.
- 9. Click Apply and you will return to the Network Interface list.
- 10. If you click the VPN Profile you have just created and click connect you will see the following error in red.
- 11. You will now need to manually edit the OpenVPN profile on your Synology NAS. To do so you need to SSH as root.
Firstly enable SSH from the Terminal & SNMP option.
- 12. Now open your favorite terminal/ssh program (Mac OSX Terminal shown here) and type:
ssh root@(ip of your synology).
The root password is the password of your administrator user (you may have changed it when initializing your NAS).
- 13. Now you need to change directories. Type and then press enter at the end of the line:
In the screenshot below you see three files:
– ca_.crt is the certificate you have uploaded (ca.crt);
– client_ is the file containing the OpenVPN configuration;
– ovpnclient.conf contains the Synology setup for OpenVPN connections.
- 14. You need to create a new file which contains the tls-auth key.
Using vi is the easiest way to do this. Type: (replace with the actual connection id)
- 15. Return to the directory where you have extracted CA certificates. You can also see the TLS-AUTH.key files there. Select the corresponding TLS-AUTH.key file to the server you are setting up the connection with and open it with a text editor program. Copy all the text in the file.
- 16. Open the terminal window again. Press A and then paste the text you have copied from the TLS-auth.key file. It should look similar to the text below.
- 17. Press Escape and then type :wq
- 18. If you would list the content of the directory using ls -al command you should see something similar to the image below.
- 19. Now you need to finish the client_(connection_id) file. Using vi open the file and add the following (note: remember to replace the TLS-AUTH.key file with the name of the keyfile you have created earlier):
It should look similar to the image below.
# _ _ ___ ______ _ _
# | | | ___ _ __ __| / / _ | | |
# | | |/ _ | ‘__/ _` | / /| |_) | | |
# | | | (_) | | | (_| | V / | __/| | |
# |_| _|___/|_| __,_| _/ |_| |_| _|
tls-auth tls_auth_o1430912123.key 1
# uncomment to log
# log-append /volume1/tmp/NordVPN.log
- 20. Save the file by pressing Escape, typing :wq
- 21. Return to your web browser window. Click Connect and you will see the Connecting sign. Please wait for up to 2 minutes.
- 22. If everything is done properly you will be connected to VPN.
- 23. To disconnect simply click on Disconnect button in the Synology Network list.
- 1. Start by opening Control Panel and then clicking on Network under Connectivity category.
- 2. Select Network Interface tab, click on Create button and choose Create VPN profile.
- 3. Select PPTP connection method.
- 4. Fill up the input fields as follows:
-Specify a logical connection profile name in Profile name;
-Enter server address you wish to connect to in “Server address” field. All server addresses can be found on our server list;
-Enter your NordVPN account user name into User name field;
-Enter your NordVPN account password into Password field.
- 5. In the next window fill in:
-Authentication: MS CHAP v2;
-Encryption: Require MPPE (40/128 bit).
Also check Use default gateway on remote network and Reconnect when the VPN connection is lost.
- 6. New connection method will be created, select it and click on Connect.
- 7. Once connected it should be noted below the connection method name. To disconnect, click on Disconnect.