The Viscosity application is one of the alternative options for connecting to NordVPN servers on your Mac. If you prefer a manual connection and tinkering with open-source software, this is a good option to connect to NordVPN. That said, it lacks the additional features of the NordVPN native app, but still uses the same VPN protocol - the OpenVPN protocol. It's also a bit more complicated to set up - please see additional guides below for set-up assistance.
Other connection methods can be found here:
- 1. Download Viscosity (Mac OS 10.7 or later is required). Viscosity is an OpenVPN client with intuitive interface offering complete configuration of OpenVPN connections on Mac OS.
- 2. Download the Mac OS configuration files package.
- 3. To begin installation of OpenVPN for Mac OS, navigate to your Downloads folder and double click the Viscosity disc image (DMG) file you just downloaded.
- 4. New window will pop up asking to drag the Viscosity icon inside the Applications folder in order to install Viscosity. Select and drag Viscosity icon to the Applications folder by holding your left mouse button down, release it once the icon is inside the folder.
- 5. Once the Viscosity icon is inside the Applications folder double click it. A new dialogue box appears: "Viscosity" is an application downloaded from the Internet. Are you sure you want to open it? Click Open.
- 6. An installation dialogue appears: Viscosity Helper Tool Installation. Click Install.
- 7. A warning appears: Viscosity is trying to install a new helper tool. Type your password to allow this and click on “Install Helper”.
- 8. After quick installation Viscosity icon appears on your menu bar near the top right corner of the screen and a "Welcome to Viscosity" dialogue which you may close by clicking Close.
- 9. Click the Viscosity icon located on your menu bar near the top right corner of the screen and choose Preferences...
- 10. In the newly opened window click the plus sign at the bottom right corner and choose Import Connection > From File.. Another window appears in which you should choose config folder which was downloaded on step 2 and click Open.
- 11. Success dialogue should appear saying that connection/s were imported successfully and you should already see connections in the background. Click OK and close the window.
- 12. Click the Viscosity icon located on your menu bar near the top right corner of the screen, you should see a list of servers in a dropdown menu. Choose a server to connect to click on it once.
- 13. A new box appears asking for credentials. Enter your NordVPN credentials (both username and password are case sensitive), check the box Remember details in my Keychain and proceed by clicking OK.
- 14. Shortly after connecting success message should appear near the top right corner of the screen. You are connected to VPN. To disconnect, click on the Viscosity icon and click again on the same server and another disconnection message should appear.