The Tunnelblick application is one of the alternative options for connecting to NordVPN servers on your Mac. If you prefer a manual connection and tinkering with open-source software, this is a good option to connect to NordVPN. That said, it lacks the additional features of the NordVPN native app, but still uses the same VPN protocol - the OpenVPN protocol. It's also a bit more complicated to set up - please see additional guides below for set-up assistance.
Other connection methods can be found here:
- 1. Download Tunnelblick. Tunnelblick provides free, user-friendly control of OpenVPN client connections for Mac OS.
- 2. Download the Mac OS configuration files package.
- 3. To begin installation of OpenVPN for Mac OS, navigate to your Downloads folder and double click the Tunnelblick disc image (DMG) file you just downloaded.
- 4. Double-click on the Tunnelblick icon in the Tunnelblick disk image Finder window.
- 5. A new dialogue box appears: Tunnelblick is an application downloaded from the Internet. Are you sure you want to open it? Click Open.
- 6. An installation dialogue appears: Install Tunnelblick? Click Install.
- 7. A dialogue box appears: Installation succeeded. Tunnelblick was successfully installed. Do you wish to launch Tunnelblick now? (An administrator username and password will be required so Tunnelblick can be secured.) Click Launch.
- 8. You may see a dialogue box: Tunnelblick needs to repair ownership/permissions of the program to secure it. Type your password to allow Tunnelblick to make changes. If so, enter your computer’s admininstrator username and password and click OK. Then exit Tunnelblick totally.
- 9. Unzip the MAC OS configuration package you have downloaded. If you do not have any file archiving software on your machine you can use a software called "Keka" to extract it.
- 10. VERY IMPORTANT: Please make sure the Tunnelblick is not running in the background - the configurations would fail to be imported if Tunnelblick is running.
- 11. Select all Mac OS configuration files and double-click on one (An administrator username and password will be required). By doing this, you will add the servers to the Tunnelblick server list.
- 12. Find the Tunnelblick icon in your menu bar (top right). Click on the Tunnelblick icon to bring down the dropdown menu and you will see the list of our servers.
- 13. Select the server and click connect.
- 14. Enter you VPN credentials, mark the box Save in Keychain and click Ok.
- 15. You are connected to VPN. To disconnect click on the Tunnelblick icon in your menu bar and select Disconnect from the drop down menu.