This is a tutorial on how to set up a WD MyCloud NAS with a NordVPN connection.
First things first, these changes are made in the web configuration panel of your router. You can access it by visiting the local IP of your router from your web browser. The two most common, default local IPs that most routers have are 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 - you can access these by opening http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.0.1 in your browser. The default IP, username and password are listed in your router’s User Manual.
In order to connect your WD My Cloud device to our VPN you will have to enable SSH on your device and perform the following steps while connected via SSH.
Made on WD My Cloud EX2. FW version: 2.30.165
1. Connect to your device by typing in its IP address into your browser.
2. Navigate to Settings -> Network and then enable SSH under Network Services as shown in the picture:
3. New SSH Window will popup, select I accept, click OK, then specify you SSH password. Afterwards SSH should be enabled:
4. Then use an SSH application such as Bitvise SSH Client if you are on Windows. Specify your WD IP address in Server -> Host field and fill in your routers SSH credentials under Authentification Username and Password fields:
5. Once you connect to your device, two new windows will open. One of them is the SFTP window where you can upload files into your device and another is the terminal. Drag and drop the servers configuration files (which you can download from here: https://nordvpn.com/ovpn/) into the SFTP window. Then type into the terminal:
6. Press enter in the terminal and you will be asked for your NordVPN username and password. Type them in and once you see Initialization Sequence Completed - your device will be connected to our service.