This article is available in Simplified Chinese, Korean, German, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, and French.
Note: Unfortunately, we are currently experiencing some issues with connectivity in the region of China as our server configurations for manual connections and applications were recently blocked. Our developers are aware of the issue and are working on a fix as soon as possible. We apologize for the inconvenience, your patience is greatly appreciated.
These instructions will help avoid undue internet restrictions when using macOS.
1. First, download the NordVPN IKEv2 certificate to your Mac. You may simply open this link on your Mac: https://downloads.nordcdn.com/certificates/root.der.
Once the download is complete, go to the Downloads folder, then find and open the file called 'root.der'.
2. The Add Certificates window will appear. Click Add to add the certificate to the login keychain.
3. Right-click the NordVPN Root CA certificate in the login keychain and select Get Info.
4. Under When using this certificate, find Extensible Authentication (EAP) and IP Security (IPsec) and select Always Trust for both. Leave Never Trust for the rest of the fields. You will have to enter your Mac password to make these changes. Once done, close the keychain.
5. Click on the Apple icon in the upper left-hand corner of the screen. Select System Preferences.
6. In System Preferences, click the Network icon.
7. When the network screen pops up, click the + icon in the lower left-hand corner of the screen (you must have administrator privileges).
8. The new network screen will appear. From the Interface dropdown list, select VPN. From the VPN Type dropdown list, select IKEv2. You can type anything you want in the Service Name field, but we recommend naming the service NordVPN (IKEv2). Once done, click Create.
9. The settings for the new VPN connection will now be displayed. In the Server Address field, enter the IP from the list below, and in the Remote ID field, enter NordVPN's server domain name from the same list:
10. Click Authentication Settings…, select Username as the authentication method, and enter your NordVPN service username and service password. Click OK and Apply.
You can find your NordVPN service credentials (service username and service password) in the Nord Account dashboard. Copy the credentials using Copy the buttons on the right.
11. You can check the Show VPN status in menu bar box — this will allow you to connect to VPN from the status bar. Click Connect and Apply.
12. You will now be connected. If you’ve chosen to see the VPN status in the menu bar, you can control your VPN connection from there.