To begin using NordVPN on your Android device, all you need to do is to download the NordVPN app, sign in (or sign up), and then connect to a NordVPN server. As soon as you've successfully connected to a NordVPN server, your Android's internet connection will be secure and private.
To go through these steps with ease, check out the instructions we provide below. Additionally, you'll find the various ways in which you can adjust the NordVPN Android app to suit your needs!
Table of contents:
First, download and install the NordVPN mobile app on your Android device.
- Open Play Store.
- Enter NordVPN in the search bar and select the NordVPN app. Tap Install.
- Once you’ve installed the application, tap to open it.
- In the main menu, tap SIGN UP to create a new account or LOG IN if you already have one.
- Pressing on any of the two buttons above will open your browser and take you to our Nord Account page, where you can either proceed with logging in or creating an account.
Please note, that in case you're signing up, you will be asked to pick a plan before you may begin using the service.
- To make your connection to the internet secure and private, connect to a NordVPN server. This can be done in several ways: by pressing on the QUICK CONNECT button, clicking on a country name within the Country List, or finding a server through the search bar.
However, there's a lot more NordVPN can offer to make your experience the best for you. Let's take a look at the different options and features that you can adjust according to your needs.
Swipe up on the main screen to find all server options and features.
- Quick Connect: connect to the closest and least loaded server. This connection method is useful when the specifics of server location or other settings aren't as important as getting lighting-fast service.
- Specialty servers: NordVPN offers a variety of different types of servers, each with unique benefits. Learn more about them in our dedicated article: What do the different server categories mean?
- Search bar: use it to find specific servers. You can input the name of a country, city, server number, or even the name of the specialty category.
- All countries list: Another method for connecting - simply scroll through the list for the country you would like to connect to, and then on the country name when you find it.
- Notifications: Here you can find all news about the latest updates and security tips.
- Statistics and Settings: by clicking here you can find your connection statistics and by pressing this cogwheel icon you will open the settings menu. There's a separate section below that explains all of the options found there.
Choosing between different servers
Connecting to a specific country: Swipe up to see the Country list. There, tap on the country you're looking for, and you will be automatically connected to a server in that location.
Alternatively, the pins on the world map signify where we have servers. Pressing on them will allow you to connect to the given country.
Finally, you can also click on the search bar, and type in the country's name there.
Connecting to a specific city: You can tap on the three dots next to a country to select a specific city.
The search bar can help here, too. Type in the name of the city, and it will appear as long as we have VPN servers in it.
Connecting to a specific server: have a server number in mind that you want to reuse? Type it into the search bar, and you'll get it:
- On the map screen, tap the user profile icon in the bottom right corner to access Connection statistics & Settings.
- Tap on the gear icon at the top right corner to find all application settings.
Auto-connect: this option allows you to have the app automatically connect you to a VPN server the soonest there is access to the internet. Click here to learn more about this feature.
Protocol: here you can switch between TCP, UDP, and NordLynx connection protocols. In short terms, the TCP protocol makes the connection slightly more stable, at the cost of speed. UDP, on the other hand, offers the opposite: a speedier, though a less reliable connection. NordLynx has the best of both worlds, it provides the speed and the reliability.
Split tunneling: allows you to specify which apps go through the VPN connection.
DNS: specifies a particular DNS server for the NordVPN app.
Local network discovery: lets you stay invisible to devices on your local area network (LAN) when disabled.
Metered connection: gives you more control over the data usage.
Threat protection (lite): protects you from intrusive ads, malware sites, phishing links, and other threats. Read more about it on our feature page: Stop intrusive ads with NordVPN’s ad blocker
Due to Google’s policies, Threat Protection no longer blocks ads for NordVPN apps downloaded from the Google Play Store. However, it still protects you from malicious websites and other cyber threats. You can download the NordVPN app with a working ad blocker directly from our website.
Dark Web Monitor: scans the internet for any credential leaks associated with your registered NordVPN e-mail address. Read more about it by clicking here.
Tapjacking protection: keeps you safe from unintentional disconnects by requiring 2 steps to disable VPN.
Appearance: the go-to settings section for changing between light, dark and neutral display modes.
Help us improve: by turning on this feature, you can share your anonymous data to help us improve in the future.
- Select which networks NordVPN can use to automatically establish a VPN connection on Android: cellular networks, Wi-Fi and Ethernet, or Always (for any network).
- Under Settings, choose the servers the app will automatically connect to: the Fastest available server, one of the servers from your Recent Connections, once of the Specialty servers, or a server in a specific country.
- In the Trusted networks section, you can disable Auto-Connect on specific Wi-Fi networks. For example, you can make an exception for your home Wi-Fi if you trust it.
Please note: you cannot exempt specific Wi-Fi networks on Android 10 or later versions due to security changes in the Android OS.
If you're unable to download NordVPN from the Google Play Store, you can get the .apk file here.
To install the app, you will need to change the security settings on your device. Go to Settings > Security & Privacy > More Settings > Install unknown apps. Select the browser you used to download the NordVPN .apk file and enable Allow from this source.
On Android version 7.0 and below, you can find this option in Settings > Security > Unknown sources.
Tip: Don't forget to use a strong password on your NordVPN account, as it will help you to avoid credential stuffing attacks and will keep your account safe.
As generating and remembering strong and secure passwords is not an easy task, we recommend downloading a free password manager, like NordPass. It generates secure passwords for you and stores them safely, letting you avoid time-wasting password resets in the future.
NordPass offers native apps for Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, and iOS, so you can reach your passwords whenever and wherever you need them, even offline.