Note: you can connect to obfuscated servers using TunnelBlick by downloading the configuration files for our obfuscated servers here.
The Tunnelblick application is one of the alternative ways to connect to NordVPN servers on your Mac. This is a good option for those who prefer a manual connection and like tinkering with open-source software. That said, it lacks the additional features of the NordVPN native app but still uses the same VPN protocol — OpenVPN. It's also a bit more complicated to set up. Below you will find a guide helping you to configure a manual connection with Tunnelblick on macOS.
- Download Tunnelblick, a free and user-friendly app for managing OpenVPN connections on macOS.
- Click here to find out which server is recommended to you by our smart algorithm.
- Under the recommended server, click on Show available protocols. You will see download links for the OpenVPN configuration files. You don't have to download both UDP and TCP — download only the one that suits your needs. You can read more about the TCP and UDP protocols here.
- Navigate to your Downloads folder and double-click the Tunnelblick installation file you have just downloaded (it has a .dmg extension).
- In the window that opens, double-click on the Tunnelblick icon.
- A new dialogue box will pop up, asking you if you are sure you want to open the app. Click Open.
- You will be asked to enter your Mac password. Enter it and click OK:
- Once the installation is complete, you will see a pop-up notification asking you if you want to launch Tunnelblick now. (An administrator username and password will be required to secure Tunnelblick). Click Launch.
Alternatively, you can click on the Tunnelblick icon in the status bar and select VPN details...:
- A new dialogue box will appear. Click I have configuration files.
- Another notification will pop-up, instructing you how to import configuration files. Click OK.
- Drag and drop the previously downloaded .ovpn file from your Downloads folder to the Configurations tab in Tunnelblick.
- A pop-up will appear, asking you if you want to install the configuration profile for your current user only or for all users on your Mac. Select your preferred option.
You will be asked to enter your Mac password.
- A warning will pop-up. You can safely check the Do not warn about this again box and click OK.
- Select the server and click Connect.
- Enter your NordVPN service credentials, mark the box Save in Keychain, and click OK.
You can find your NordVPN service credentials in the Nord Account dashboard. Copy the credentials using the “Copy” buttons on the right.
- That’s it! You are now connected to a VPN. To disconnect, click on the Tunnelblick icon in your status bar and select Disconnect in the drop-down menu.
Tip: Your VPN connection safety depends on your account password too. Don't forget to use a strong password on your account, as it will help you to avoid credential stuffing attacks and will keep your connections safe and uninterrupted.
As generating and remembering strong and secure passwords is not an easy task, we recommend downloading our free password manager — NordPass. It generates secure passwords for you and stores them safely, letting you avoid time-wasting password resets in the future.