Note: if you are using iOS 13 or later, please follow this tutorial.
OpenVPN is a popular protocol our specialty servers use to provide extra functionality. This is an alternative connection method for when you are having trouble with the native NordVPN app for iOS. Here’s how to configure your iOS device for this connection method:
- Go to the App Store on your iPad/iPhone.
- Tap on Search.
- Type openvpn connect in the search bar.
- Tap on the installation button.
- Enter your iTunes Store credentials and tap OK.
- Once the app is installed, download the .OVPN configuration file here: https://nordvpn.com/servers/tools/. Make sure to use the Safari browser.
- Select Open in OpenVPN.
- Enter your NordVPN service credentials, choose to save the password in a keychain, and tap ADD in the top right corner.
You can find your NordVPN service credentials (username and password) in the Nord Account dashboard. Copy the credentials using the “Copy” buttons on the right.
- You will see a pop-up asking for permission to add OpenVPN to your VPN configurations. Click Allow.
- Tap on the toggle switch to connect to VPN.
- That’s it! You have successfully connected.
- To change a server, disconnect from the current server by tapping the toggle switch next to it and enable another imported profile.
- To disconnect, tap on the same toggle button you used to connect.
Tip: Your VPN connection safety depends on your account password too. Don't forget to use a strong password on your account, as it will help you to avoid credential stuffing attacks and will keep your connections safe and uninterrupted.
As generating and remembering strong and secure passwords is not an easy task, we recommend downloading our free password manager — NordPass. It generates secure passwords for you and stores them safely, letting you avoid time-wasting password resets in the future.