Before you start
Your Windows PC needs to be connected to your network either using Wi-Fi or an Ethernet cable.
If you are connecting your PC to the network via an Ethernet cable, you will need a second Ethernet port to connect the device you want to share your VPN connection with.For desktop PCs, you can buy an internet connection card to add a second port. Laptops should be connected to the network via Wi-Fi, reserving their Ethernet port for the device without a VPN connection.
Note: When you start, make sure you are not connected to NordVPN. This tutorial will specify when you can connect.
How to share a VPN connection over Ethernet
- Open the “Network and sharing center” by right-clicking the network icon in the system tray and selecting “Open network and sharing center.”
- In the “Network and sharing center,” click “Change adapter options.”
- You will see all the network interfaces that you have. There should be at least three interfaces:
* Your internet connection
* The interface you will use to connect the device without a VPN connection
* The TAP adapter used by the NordVPN app to establish a VPN connection
Right-click the TAP-NordVPN Windows adapter and select “Properties.”
Please note: After adjusting the adapter, you will need to switch to the matching protocol within the NordVPN app. In this case, you will need to switch either to the TCP or the UDP protocol.
- Open the “Sharing” tab, enable “Allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection,” and select the name of the network interface that you will share the connection with. Click “OK.”
- Now connect the desired device to your PC using an Ethernet cable. Once you see the Ethernet interface trying to identify the connection, you can connect to NordVPN using the NordVPN app.
- Congratulations! Your VPN connectionhas been shared with the device.