This tutorial explains how to connect your Padavan firmware router to NordVPN using the OpenVPN protocol.
First things first, these changes are made in the web configuration panel of your router. You can access it by visiting the local IP of your router from your web browser. The two most common, default local IPs that most routers have are 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 - you can access these by opening http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.0.1 in your browser. The default IP, username and password are listed in your router’s User Manual.
1. Please access your router and navigate to VPN Client -> Settings tab.
2. Select Enable VPN Client and fill in the fields as follows:
Remote VPN Server (IP or DNS host): for the sake of the tutorial, we have used se22.nordvpn.com, but you should connect to a server suggested to you at https://nordvpn.com/servers/tools/ . You can find the server hostname right under the server title.
Login: Your NordVPN service username
Password: Your NordVPN service password
Authentication Algorithm: SHA-512
Encryption Cipher Algorithm: AES-256-CBC
Enable LZO for Data Compression: Disable
You can find your NordVPN service credentials (service username and service password) in the Nord Account dashboard:
- Click Set up NordVPN manually.
- You will receive a verification code in your email that you use for NordVPN services. Type the code in:
- Copy the credentials using the “Copy” buttons on the right:
If you wish to use TCP protocol instead, change the Transport option to TCP, and Port to 443.
3. Press Apply and then select OpenVPN Certificates & Keys
Copy our servers CA certificate into ca.crt field and Static Key into ta.key field. You can download these certificates and keys using this link: https://downloads.nordcdn.com/configs/archives/certificates/servers.zip
4. After connecting to our service you should make your changes permanent. You can do it in three ways:
• Run in console command "mtd_storage.sh save";
• On the page Advanced Settings -> Administration -> Settings press button "Commit" to the right of the item "Commit Internal Storage to Flash Memory Now";
• Reboot router by pressing the Reboot button to the right of "Logout" button.
5. You should also use NordVPN DNS servers to protect against DNS leaks. You can see the setting in the image below: