Note: You don't have to set up a proxy if you are using the NordVPN app.
This tutorial explains how to set up the SOCKS5 proxy on the BitTorrent client.
- Open BitTorrent.
- Click on Options and press Preferences.
- In the left sidebar of the new window, choose Connection.
- In the Type field under Proxy Server, choose SOCKS5.
- In the Proxy field, enter the address from the list below:
- Enter 1080 in the Port field and check the following boxes: Authentication, Use proxy for hostname lookups, Use proxy for peer-to-peer connections, Disable all local DNS lookups, Disable features that leak identifying information, Disable connections unsupported by the proxy.
- Type in your NordVPN service username and password in the authentication fields and press OK.
You can find your NordVPN service credentials in the Nord Account dashboard. Copy the credentials using the “Copy” buttons on the right.
That’s it! The Socks5 proxy is now set up on BitTorrent. If you want to check whether it works, follow these steps:
- Go to the ipMagnet website.
- Click Magnet link.
- In the pop-up window, choose BitTorrent and press OK. Important: do not close the ipMagnet website.
- BitTorrent will open automatically. Save the torrent file to your computer and press OK.
- The file ipMagnet Tracking Link will start synchronizing.
- As the file is connecting to peers, return to the ipMagnet website, where you will see your new IP address.
- The new IP address of a VPN server indicates that BitTorrent is downloading files through the NordVPN proxy, which ensures that your downloads are secured.
As generating and remembering strong and secure passwords is not an easy task, we recommend downloading a free password manager, like NordPass. It generates secure passwords for you and stores them safely, letting you avoid time-wasting password resets in the future.
NordPass offers native apps for Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, and iOS, so you can reach your passwords whenever and wherever you need them, even offline.