Note: You don't have to set up a proxy if you are using the NordVPN app. Using a VPN for BitTorrent lets you safely download files while the rest of your connection is secured.
Please note that the NordVPN service should never be used to bypass copyright regulations. NordVPN does not promote, condone, or endorse the use of the service for such purposes. For more details, please read the NordVPN Terms of Service.
This tutorial explains how to set up the Socks5 proxy on the BitTorrent client for torrenting with NordVPN.
- Open BitTorrent.
- Click on “Options” and select “Preferences.”
- In the left sidebar of the new window, choose “Connection.”
- In the “Type” field under “Proxy server,” choose Socks5.
- In the “Proxy” field, enter any of the addresses from the list below. For the best connection speed, choose a country or city close to your physical location.
- Enter “1080” in the “Port” field and check the following boxes:
Use proxy for hostname lookups
Use proxy for peer-to-peer connections
Disable all local DNS lookups
Disable features that leak identifying information
Disable connections unsupported by the proxy
- Type in your NordVPN service username and password in the authentication fields and press “OK.”
You can find your NordVPN service credentials in the Nord Account dashboard. Copy the credentials using the “Copy” buttons on the right.
Congratulations! You have now set up a Socks5 proxy for BitTorrent. If you want to check whether it works, follow these steps:
- Go to ipleak.net and click “Activate” under the “Torrent address detection” section. Then, click on a link titled “this Magnet link.”
- A new window will pop up. Choose “BitTorrent” and press “OK.” Do not close the IP Leak website.
- BitTorrent will open automatically. Save the torrent file to your computer and press “OK.”
- The file “Magnet tracking link” will start synchronizing.
- While the file is connecting to peers, go to ipleak.net. A new IP address, the one that you chose, should appear.
- This is the IP address of a NordVPN server. This means that BitTorrent is downloading files through a NordVPN proxy, ensuring that your downloads are hidden and secured.
Because generating and remembering strong and secure passwords is not an easy task, we recommend downloading a free password manager like NordPass. It generates secure passwords for you and stores them safely, letting you avoid time-wasting password resets in the future.
NordPass offers native apps for Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, and iOS, so you can reach your passwords whenever and wherever you need them, even offline.