You can use NordVPN with uTorrent and other peer-to-peer platforms without setting up a proxy.
However, if you don’t want to use the NordVPN app for uTorrent, setting up a NordVPN proxy is a great alternative.
Note that NordVPN service should never be used to bypass copyright regulations. NordVPN does not promote, condone, or endorse the use of the service for such purposes. For more details, please read the NordVPN Terms of Service.
How to set up NordVPN with uTorrent
- Open uTorrent.
- In the menu bar, click Option > Preferences. Alternatively, press Ctrl + P on your keyboard.
- Select the Connection section.
- Under Proxy Server, from the Type dropdown, select Socks5.
- In the Proxy field, enter an address of a selected proxy server.
Here is a list of servers you can choose from:
- In the Port field, type in 1080.
- Select the following checkboxes:
- Use proxy for hostname lookups
- Use proxy for peer-to-peer connections
- Disable all local DNS lookups
- Disable features that leak identifying information
- Disable connections unsupported by the proxy
And enter your authentication details.
Username: NordVPN service username
Password: NordVPN service password
You can find your NordVPN service credentials (service username and service password) in the Nord Account dashboard:
- Click Set up NordVPN manually.
- You will receive a verification code in your email that you use for NordVPN services. Type the code in:
- Copy the credentials using the “Copy” buttons on the right:
- Click Apply and OK to save changes.
How to check if your proxy setup is working
Let’s check if your proxy setup is working.
- Visit the ipleak.net website.
- Scroll down to the Torrent Address detection section, click Activate, and click this Magnet Link.
- A new window will show up, prompting you to open uTorrent. Select Open uTorrent.
Important: keep ipleak.net open.
- Once uTorrent opens, click OK to add the torrent.
- While the torrent is downloading metadata, return to the ipleak website.
- Under Torrent Address detection, you should see the IP address of your chosen proxy server.
If no address is showing, click the Refresh button to update the results.
If you see the NordVPN server IP address you selected, the setup is working — uTorrent is downloading files through a NordVPN SOCKS5 proxy server