This is a tutorial on how to set up NordVPN on a Synology DiskStation Manager version 6.1 and later.
- Log in to your Synology and go to Control Panel.
- Navigate to Network.
- Go to Network Interface > Create > Create VPN Profile.
- Select OpenVPN (via importing a .ovpn file) and click Next. We suggest using our recommended server utility here, where you can download the server configuration file:
- Complete the fields as explained below:
Profile name: Can be anything, but for convenience we'll name it "NordVPN".
Username: NordVPN service credentials.
Password: NordVPN service credentials.
Import .ovpn file: use the file you have downloaded in the previous step.
1. Download the list of certificates by clicking here.
2. Look through the list until you find the certificate which has the same number as the server you've downloaded in step 4. For our example, we would search for a certificate called uk4139_nordvpn_com_ca.crt
3. Now, to the right of the CA certificate field, press on "Browse" and manually add the appropriate ca.crt file
You can find your NordVPN service credentials in the Nord Account dashboard. Copy the credentials using the buttons on the right.
- Select all options and click Apply.
- Select the created profile and click Connect.
The status of this profile will change to Connected when the connection is established.
In case of any issues while trying to establish the connection, open the .ovpn configuration file on your computer and add this line:
Afterward, import the edited .ovpn file again into Synology and try connecting again. Send us the log file from this directory: