Can I use NordVPN on Synology NAS?
Yes, Synology DiskStation Manager 6.1 and later versions support NordVPN. This article explains what you need to do in order to set up NordVPN on your device. We also have instructions on how to set up a VPN on Synology 5.1 NAS.
VPN on Synology setup instructions
- Log in to Synology and click on “Control Panel.”
- Go to “Network.”
- Go to “Network interface,” click “Create,” and pick “Create VPN profile.”
- Select “OpenVPN (via importing a .ovpn file)” and click “Next.” We recommend using our recommended server utility to download the VPN server configuration file.
- Complete the fields as explained below:
Profile name: Can be anything, but for convenience we'll name it "NordVPN."
Username: NordVPN service credentials.
Password: NordVPN service credentials.
Import .ovpn file: Use the file you have downloaded in step 4 of this guide.
1) First, download the list of certificates and find the certificate with the same number as the server you've downloaded in step 4.
2) Back in the “Create profile” screen, press “Browse” to the right of the CA certificate field to manually add the appropriate ca.crt file
You can find your NordVPN service credentials in the Nord Account dashboard. Copy the credentials using the buttons on the right.
- Select all options and click "Apply."
- Select the created profile and click "Connect."
The status of this profile will change to "Connected" when the connection is established.
If you have any issues while trying to establish the connection, open the .ovpn configuration file on your computer and add this line:
Import the edited .ovpn file again into Synology and try connecting again. Afterwards, send us the “NordVPN.log” file from the “/var/log/” directory.