This article is available in German, French, Spanish, Japanese, Korean, Dutch, Polish, Portuguese-Brazilian, Swedish, Danish, and Italian.
Note: We have a separate set of instructions on how to set up the NordVPN application for Linux and you can download NordVPN for Linux here.
Please note that since Linux has a lot of different distributions, the configuration interfaces may vary.
- Open Terminal (keyboard shortcut: Ctrl + Alt + T).
- Disable IPV6. Click here to learn how.
- Only after disabling IPV6, install the OpenVPN client by entering:
sudo apt-get install openvpn
You may be asked to enter your user password to confirm your identity.
- Navigate to the OpenVPN configuration directory with the command:
- Download the OpenVPN configuration files with the command:
sudo wget https://downloads.nordcdn.com/configs/archives/servers/ovpn.zip
In case you get ERROR: The certificate of `nordvpn.com’ is not trusted., install the ca-certificates package with the command:
sudo apt-get install ca-certificates
- If you do not have the unzip package installed, download it by typing:
sudo apt-get install unzip
- Extract ovpn.zip with the command:
sudo unzip ovpn.zip
- Remove the files you will no longer use:
sudo rm ovpn.zip
- Enter the directory where the server configurations are located. These folders are named either ovpn_udp or ovpn_tcp:
- cd /etc/openvpn/ovpn_udp/
- cd /etc/openvpn/ovpn_tcp/
- To see the list of all available servers, enter the following command:
- ls -al
- ls -al
- Choose a server to connect to.
For this tutorial, we used us2957.nordvpn.com, but you should connect to the server suggested to you at https://nordvpn.com/servers/tools/. You can find the server hostname right under the server title.
- Start OpenVPN with a chosen configuration by entering:
sudo openvpn [file name]
sudo openvpn us2957.nordvpn.com.udp.ovpn
sudo openvpn /etc/openvpn/ovpn_udp/us2957.nordvpn.com.udp.ovpn
- OpenVPN will ask you for your credentials. Enter your NordVPN service credentials.
You can find your NordVPN service credentials in the Nord Account dashboard. Copy the credentials using the Copy buttons on the right.
- You have successfully connected to VPN. To disconnect, open Terminal and press Ctrl + C on your keyboard.