The OpenVPN Connect application can be used as an alternative way to connect to NordVPN servers on your Android device. Since this manual connection method is more complicated to set up, it is recommended to advanced Android users.
- First, download the configuration files for a server recommended to you by our server picker here. You will find the configurations by clicking on Show available protocols under the recommended server hostname.
- Download the configuration file for the connection protocol you want to use.
TCP offers a stable connection and is suitable for regular web browsing.
UDP offers higher speeds, which makes it good for streaming, but the connection is less stable than that of TCP.
- Go to the Google Play Store.
- In the search bar at the top of the screen, type OpenVPN Connect. Once you find the app, click Install to download it.
- Launch the application from your home screen or app menu. In the following window, select File.
- A window will pop up, asking you if you allow the app to access certain data on your device. Click Allow.
- Navigate to the folder where you have downloaded the OpenVPN configuration file. It should be in the Downloads folder by default.
Choose the files you want to import and press IMPORT at the bottom.
- In the following window, type any title for the connection and enter your NordVPN service credentials. In the upper-right corner, press Add.
You can find your NordVPN service credentials (username and password) in the Nord Account dashboard. Copy the credentials using the “Copy” buttons on the right.
- Once you have successfully configured the connection, you can initiate it by tapping the toggle switch next to the OpenVPN profile.
- The application will ask you for permissions necessary for the VPN connection. Click OK.
- In the following prompt, click Continue.
- If the connection is successful, you will see a window similar to the one below, where you will find a detailed connection status, including current data throughput and duration.
- To disconnect, disable the toggle switch next to the OpenVPN profile.
Tip: Your VPN connection safety depends on your account password too. Don't forget to use a strong password on your account, as it will help you to avoid credential stuffing attacks and will keep your connections safe and uninterrupted.
As generating and remembering strong and secure passwords is not an easy task, we recommend downloading our free password manager — NordPass. It generates secure passwords for you and stores them safely, letting you avoid time-wasting password resets in the future.