The OpenVPN Connect application can be used as an alternative way to connect to NordVPN servers on your Android device. Since this manual connection method is more complicated to set up, it is recommended for advanced Android users.
- First, download the configuration files for a server recommended to you by our server recommendation tool. Click “Show available protocols” under the recommended server hostname to see the configuration files.
- Download the configuration file for the connection protocol you want to use.
TCP offers a stable connection and is suitable for regular web browsing.
UDP offers higher speeds, which makes it good for streaming, but the connection is less stable than that of TCP.
- To install OpenVPN on your phone or tablet, first go to the Google Play Store.
- In the search bar at the top of the screen, type “OpenVPN Connect” (without the quotation marks). Once you find the app, click “Install” to download it.
- To begin using OpenVPN on Android, launch OpenVPN Connect from your home screen or app menu. In the following window, select “File.”
- A window will pop up, asking you if you allow the app to access certain data on your device. Click "Allow."
- Navigate to the folder where you have downloaded the OpenVPN configuration file. It should be in the “Downloads” folder by default.
Choose the files you want to import and press "Import" at the bottom.
- In the following window, type any title for the connection and enter your NordVPN service credentials. In the upper-right corner, press "Add."
You can find your NordVPN service credentials (username and password) through the Nord Account dashboard. Copy the credentials using the “Copy” button on the right.
- Once you have successfully configured the connection, you can initiate it by tapping the toggle switch next to the OpenVPN profile.
- The application will ask you for the permissions necessary for the VPN connection. Click "Ok."
- In the following prompt, tap "Continue."
- If the connection is successful, you will see a window similar to the one below displaying your connection stats, such as your current data throughput and connection duration.
That’s it — enjoy privacy and security online.