This article will cover questions on cyber insurance coverage and claims.
Table of contents:
- Types of issues covered by the insurance benefits
- Situations where insurance benefits are not applicable
- Conditions for making a claim
- Where do the insurance benefits cover you
- Cryptocurrency coverage
Scam loss recovery provides reimbursement when you have transferred funds from a personal account in response to a cyber scam, whereby you have been tricked into opening or responding to emails, text messages, and phone calls that appeared to be from legitimate entities or people who you trust and/or are known to you, which were sent with the purpose of defrauding you. Examples of such scams include but are not limited to: phishing (emails); smishing (text messages); vishing (fraudulent pre-recorded messages); and spoofing (impersonation phone calls).
Online shopping fraud recovery provides reimbursement when you have purchased eligible items/services online from a website/trading platform that turned out to be fraudulent. Some examples include:
- You purchased an item via an online sales advertisement. No receipt or proof of purchase was provided after you completed the payment. The website subsequently went missing, and it turned out the webpage was fraudulent.
- You performed an electronic transaction to book a scheduled cleaning service from an online advertisement, however, no service was rendered, and all the contact details on the ad turned out to be fabricated.
- You performed an electronic transaction to make a purchase from a webpage that was impersonating a legitimate brand, company, or online merchant and only realized it after the transaction was made.
There are a number of situations not covered under the following insurance benefits.
Not covered by scam loss recovery:
- Any transactions from a business account
- Advance fee fraud, where you are promised goods, services, and/or financial gains in return for an upfront payment, including payment by electronic transaction
- Confidence scams/romance scams, where someone befriends you, forms a personal connection with you, or pretends to be interested in a romantic relationship with you and convinces you to transfer money to them.
Not covered by online shopping fraud recovery
- Online purchases where cash, cryptocurrency such as bitcoins, vouchers, or reward points are the form of payment
- Online purchases for items/services which are not classed as eligible items/services
- Unauthorized transactions on your payment card or e-money account because of online shopping fraud, leading to the cloning of your payment card or identity theft
The following conditions apply in order to make a claim:
- You must have had an active NordVPN Ultimate bundle subscription at the time of the incident that resulted in your claim.
- You must report the fraud to the Action Fraud website www.actionfraud.police.uk within 24 hours of you discovering it. Action Fraud will issue you with a crime reference number.
- You must notify your bank or your e-money account provider within 24 hours of you discovering the fraud, so it can make attempts to stop any transactions from going through or to trace where the funds have gone.
- You must make reasonable attempts to recover any lost funds.
- You must retain documentary evidence of the fraud.
- You must submit your claim as soon as practicable by completing an online submission via your NordVPN account.
- You must provide accurate information to us in the event of a claim. If you don’t, you could invalidate your insurance benefits, or we might reject a claim.
Please be aware that the insurer is unable to pay any claims that would result in breaches of the UN resolutions, trade or economic sanctions, or other laws of the UK, EU, or USA.
You are covered worldwide, 24 hours a day. However, please be aware that the insurer cannot pay any claims that would result in breaches of the UN resolutions, trade or economic sanctions, or other laws of the UK, EU, or USA.
No, transactions involving cryptocurrency of any kind are not covered by these insurance benefits.